Saturday, September 15, 2001

Chapter 1 : Search



“Please, Rose, please! Tell me where she is,” I beg through a sob. I’m clutching my cell phone to my ear like it’s a lifeline.

Rosalie Cullen is married to my brother, Emmett, and she’s her best friend. I know she’ll remain loyal to her no matter what, but I am not above begging. I need her like I need air to breathe. I’ll do anything to make this right, but Rose can be a cold-hearted bitch if you piss her off. She’s fierce, devoted and has a heart of gold…until you wrong her or someone she loves.

“If you think crying will make me feel sorry for you, Edward, you’re wrong.” She huffs in annoyance.

“I’m not trying to make you feel sorry for me, Rose. I just…God, I just need to see her, to talk to her. I’ll do anything. Anything! Just, please, tell me where she is.” 

“I’m sorry, Edward. I haven’t talked to her. Not today, anyway. Sounds like she finally got sick of your shit. Can’t say I blame her for finally leaving your sorry ass,” she spat. She loves every second of this. Loves throwing it in my face that I fucked this up. The only thing we’ve ever been able to agree upon is our love for the two loves of our lives.

I sigh and swallow the lump in my throat. “Can you just…I don’t know. Just tell her I’m sorry. Tell her I’ll do whatever it takes to make it up to her.”

“I make no promises, Edward. She’s a big girl. She makes her own decisions.” And with that snarky reply, she hangs up on me. 

I throw my phone onto the passenger seat and slam my hand on the dash. 

“Dammit! Fuck!” 

Sitting in the driveway of our home isn’t going to get me any closer to finding her. I back the truck out of the driveway and head up the coast towards the causeway. The rain is so heavy, it is impossible to see more than twenty feet in front of me. If I didn’t know any better, I’d swear there was a tropical storm off the coast. Again, fitting. I still remember when we decided to move to this sleepy little beach town on the coast of North Carolina. 

Emmett is a pilot in the Marine Corps and was being sent to Marine Corps Air Station New River from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island. The idea of having my brother and her best friend on the complete opposite side of the country didn’t sit well with either of us, so the decision was easy. It was the ideal place for us. We had only been together a year, but I knew I was going to be with the woman for the rest of my life. Once we began researching the area, she fell in love with Wilmington, and even more so in love with Wrightsville Beach. We would be just under an hour away from Emmett and Rose, who found a place in Sneads Ferry. The perfect start to our forever.

I make a left onto the causeway and head over the canals. No matter where I look, I see her. There are memories of her everywhere, and my fucking chest aches as I wipe the tears from my eyes with the back of my hand. I pull into the Causeway Café, in hopes that she may have come here to get away. Through my rain soaked windshield, I can just make out the rickety front porch steps leading to the front door. The usual chalkboard menus are hanging on each side of the doors, and the lit neon sign reads “Open.” Ready to make another mad dash, I shut off the engine and grab hold of the door handle. I swing it open and brace myself against the pounding rain and heavy wind as I race up the front steps and through the front door. The bells chime as I fumble into the café looking like a wet rat, and the waitress behind the bar gives me a once over, raising an eyebrow at me. Jessica.

We met Jessica when we first started coming to the café for morning breakfasts. She’s our regular waitress—and as sweet as their malted chocolate chip pancakes. She doesn’t move or speak as I stalk to the counter. She simply holds my gaze, and I feel like she’s looking right through me. 

“Hey, Jess. Have you seen her?” I ask breathlessly. 

She props her hand on her hip, cocks her head to the side, and I know I’m right. She’s been here. I spin around, and quickly glance around the tables at the customers. I’m sure I look like some sort of deranged lunatic to these people. There are locals and tourists abound, just enjoying their meals. Some have noticed me, and some are oblivious. Doesn’t matter, because none of them are her. I spin back to Jessica, and brace my hands on the counter. I take a deep breath to try to calm myself, and the scent almost knocks me over, so I grip the counter harder and try to focus. I know she’s been here. 

“Please. Just tell me where she is. Please, Jess.” Nope, still not above begging. 

“I don’t know where she is, Edward,” Jessica replies icily. 

I feel the tears stinging my eyes again, and I look away. “But, she was here, wasn’t she?”

I look back at Jessica, and she’s studying the floor, her hands now in the front pockets of her apron. I slam my hand down on the counter, and she jumps back in shock and then stares daggers at me. 

“You need to calm down,” she practically growls at me. She takes a step towards the counter and places her hand over mine in a manner meant to be soothing. It doesn’t help. “Look, I like you. Both of you. I don’t know what’s going on, and I don’t know where she went. Yes, she was here, but only long enough to grab breakfast and a coffee to go.” She pauses and removes her hand. “She looked a hot mess though. It broke my heart to see her like that. And…” She pauses again, and I feel like the only thing holding me up is this damn counter. I can see the hurt in her eyes. “…she told me goodbye. Said that it was the last time she’d be coming here, and wanted to say goodbye.”

My fucking heart slams into my chest and then falls into my feet. I slump into a stool at the counter and drop my head into my arms, trying to fight back the tears. 

No! Dammit! NO!
“Look, Edward, maybe she just needs some space. Just give her some time?” It comes out like a question, and I know she’s just trying to comfort me. Still doesn’t help.

“I can’t. I have to find her. It’s just a feeling, but if I don’t find her, I think…” I swallow hard and practically choke on the next words. “I think she’ll be gone for good.”  

I lift my head slightly. Jessica gives me a sad smile, nods and then turns and walks away to attend to other customers. I press the heels of my hands to my eyes again, and then wipe away the tears from my face. I swear I can still smell her, and it reminds me of the very first time we ever walked into this place. 

It was the morning after we’d first arrived. The day before was nothing short of torturous. The moving truck had arrived at seven AM on the dot, and the packers began unloading mounds of boxes and our furniture. They didn’t leave until close to ten PM that night, but the first thing we had them assemble that day was our bed, so all we had to do was crash after a day of unpacking. She had other ideas that night, so instead of falling asleep, we christened the shower, the bathroom counter and eventually the new sheets on our old bed. I remember waking up that next morning…

---

There was a soft glow behind my eyelids, and I felt silky fingers making circles on my chest. I stretched my arms up over my head and slowly blinked my eyes open. She was resting on her side, her head propped up on her elbow, her hair falling softly around her shoulders. She looked like a damn angel. 
“Good morning, beautiful,” I said with a scratchy sigh, feeling like the luckiest bastard alive getting to wake up next to her. 
“Good morning yourself, handsome,” she whispered softly back as her hand began to circle lower and lower down my stomach. She had that look in her eye, and I knew where this was heading. 
I reached a hand up and brushed her hair off her shoulder, as I propped myself up and kissed the hollow of her neck. 
“It looks like someone else is awake too.” She giggled. I fucking loved that sound.
“He’s always awake for you, babe,” I teased as I slid my hand down her shoulder, across her collarbone, and trailed one finger between the swell of her breasts. Her breathing picked up as I nipped and sucked at her throat. 
She softly slid her hand down my stomach and grabbed a hold of my dick, which was proudly standing at attention. She rubbed her thumb over the tip, and I sucked in a sharp breath as she began to slowly pump up and down. That shit felt too good, and I knew I wouldn’t last long, so I surprised her by flipping her quickly onto her back. She let out a sexy-ass squeal of surprise, and I yanked her arms up over her head. I crashed my lips to hers, and she opened almost immediately to me. Our tongues played out a battle of dominance, while I kept both her wrists in one hand and moved the other slowly down her ribs. I cupped her left breast and rolled her nipple between my fingers. She broke the kiss gasping and let out a deep, sensual moan when I nibbled beneath her ear. 
My hand trailed down across her hip and down to her slick core. She was breathing heavy, and already dripping wet for me. Wasting no time at all, I reached my hand back up and held both her wrists in both of my hands, lined up and slammed into her. She screamed my name, and I felt her pulse around me immediately. Fucking sexy shit. She opened her eyes, and I could see all her love for me in that moment. That was all it took for me to start moving. This wasn’t about to be some long drawn-out lovemaking, this was fast hard fucking, and she was loving every minute of it, moaning and meeting me thrust for thrust. It didn’t take long for her to start clenching again, and when she threw her head back in ecstasy, I followed her, as she pulled and milked me dry. 
I collapsed on top of her, both of us breathing hard, and released her wrists. She softly glided her fingertips up and down my back while I kissed her shoulder and neck. 
“That’s what I call a good morning,” she said with a smile. 
“Baby, you can wake me up like that any day,” I answered with a chuckle. 
She patted me on my ass and said, “Come on, I’m starving. Let’s go eat!”
“You keep spankin’ my ass, and you’re gonna starve a little longer,” I teased and then licked up the length of her throat to her chin. 
She shivered, which did nothing to help in keeping me from getting hard again, and I bucked my hips.
“Nope, nope, nope. Get up, I’m hungry,” she laughed as she pushed at my chest. 
I reluctantly pulled out of her, and we managed to shower and dress, keeping our hands to ourselves. Thirty minutes later, we were seated at a booth at the café meeting Jessica for the first time. We both ordered coffee, but she went for the strawberry French toast, and I opted for the chocolate Oreo waffles. God, that shit was sinful, but so good.

---

The sound of dishes clattering somewhere in the back of the café brings me back to the present. Christ, I need to find her! I shake my head and try to focus on where else she could be. It’s still raining buckets, so I rush back to my truck. 

I pull back out onto the causeway and head west towards Dixon Heights. A left on Market Street, and I realize I’m heading towards Pat’s Paperback Exchange. She fucking loves—and I mean loves—to read. I think about all the times I’ve teased her for the enormous amounts of books she lines the shelves in the study with. Or how many times she’s come into town just to trade out some of her old one’s for “newer” old ones from Pat’s. 
A quick drive around the parking lot, and I can see her car is not here. I don’t know the storeowner like she does. He’d probably look at me like I have three heads if I rush in there asking for her, so I continue my drive west.

Before I even realize it, I’m in the heart of Wilmington. On a normal day, I love everything about this small city. I love the history and southern charm, the battleship, the river walk and paddle boats on the Cape Fear River. I love that we have four seasons and the streets are lined with trees, taking away the feeling of a bustling metropolis and making you feel at home. This time of year is my favorite. It’s springtime, and the azaleas are in bloom. 

Today, I fucking loathe it with a passion. Today, the azaleas mock me at every turn. Today, every sight I see reminds me what a fuck up I am for letting it get this bad. Today she left, and I don’t have a fucking clue where she is. Today, my heart breaks a little bit more with the memories of this town; walking hand in hand along the riverfront at sunset, taking haunted tours of the town. Yep, today, I fucking hate Wilmington.

As I pass the Mansion Museum, I know where I am headed. I turn south on Third Street and head towards Greenfield Lake. She loves the lake. She hates the alligators and the snakes, but she loves the lake. 

Today, I am going to find her if it’s the last thing I ever fucking do.

xxx

I’m soaked to the damn bone, and I don’t care. As I sit here on a bench at the park and watch the rain move in sheets across the lake, I know she’s not here. In fact, there’s no one here. I am the only idiot sitting out here during a monsoonal spring rain. I’m an idiot for so many other reasons as well. 

I reach down and pluck a wildflower from the grass at my feet. I replay the events of two nights ago in my head over and over. She warned me. She said that she was tired of feeling second best, of playing second fiddle to my job. I heard her; I just never really believed she’d leave. Or maybe I just thought I had more time. Or maybe…fuck, I don’t know. 

I was in the study that night, going over an upcoming case. I have my own law practice, and not to brag, but I have yet to lose a case. I’m a family law attorney, specializing in child advocacy law. Some of my toughest and most rewarding cases have been those that remove children from abusive situations and place them with permanent families via adoption, all the while putting their abuser behind bars. 

The case I was reviewing; the father, one James Hunter, had sexually molested his nine-year-old daughter for years. The investigators on the case believed that it had been happening since she was at least two years old. Sick bastard. His trial is scheduled to start next week, and I feel like I have a solid case to put him away for a very long time. 

---

A timid knock on the study door pulled my attention away from the case documents to find her leaning against the doorframe. She was wearing grey cotton sleep shorts and a matching tank, her hair pulled back in a lose ponytail. She smiled shyly at me, and I smiled back. So beautiful.
“Hey,” she said softly.
“Hey,” I replied.
“Are you coming to bed anytime soon?” she asked, and I glanced at my watch to see that it was already past midnight.
“Shit, babe. Yes, sorry. I just got caught up in these files and didn’t realize what time it is,” I said as I began piling them into a folder. 
“You seem to do that often, ya know?” she asked, still not moving from the doorway. 
I sighed and leaned back in my chair. “I’m sorry, babe. I just want to make sure this asshole gets what’s coming to him. No way out.”
She nodded sadly. “Edward…” she began, but then sighed deeply. 
“Yeah?” I responded. I could tell something was weighing on her mind, but she seemed reluctant to speak up. 
“I just can’t keep doing this,” she stated and looked deep into my eyes. “I feel like all you ever do anymore is sit in this study and review files, or you’re at the office, or the courthouse. We never do anything together anymore.” 
A lone tear trickled down her face. 
I stood quickly and made my way to her. I wrapped my arms around her waist and pulled her head to my chest. 
“Don’t cry, baby. Please don’t cry. I promise, just as soon as this case is over, I’ll take some time off. We can go down to Florida and see your mom or something. How’s that sound?” 
“I’ve heard this all before, Edward. You’ll take time off. You’ll slow down. You’ll pass the next case off to Mike. But you never do. I can’t do this anymore. I can’t live with broken promises,” she sobbed into my chest, fisting her hand in my undershirt.
I stroked her hair, letting the silky chocolate strands run through my fingers. 
“I’m sorry, baby. I’ll do better. You deserve better. I’m keeping this promise to you, I swear,” I said, and I pulled back and cupped her face in my hands. 
“You’re right. I do deserve better,” she said firmly, and something inside me snapped. She’d said it with too much conviction. It was too final. I pressed my lips firmly to hers, hoping against hope that she could feel the sincerity of my words. 
I held her close that night in bed as she sobbed. I vowed to myself that I would make this up to her. She deserved the world, and I was failing to give it to her. I was going to do better. 
---

Renee! Of course! I ran back to my truck a soaking, shivering mess. Tears mixed with rain as it dripped from my hair. I picked my cell phone up from the seat and scrolled through my contacts. Renee would know where she was. She would have called her and told her what was going on. 

I dialed the phone and waited on baited breath as it rang. Renee would tell me, wouldn’t she?