EPOV
The clock on the bedside table reads just after nine-thirty in the morning. It’s been two days since Bella’s doctor appointment, and even worse, since I’ve seen her. I’m trying desperately to give her space, but it’s so damn difficult. Luckily, she still takes my phone calls and will text me back if I text her, but it really isn’t the same. I miss her.
She gave me a copy of the ultrasound photo of our baby and when I showed it to my mom and dad, I really thought my mother was going to disconnect my head from my shoulders. She wrapped her arms around me so tightly, jumping up and down…Jesus. To say that they’re excited about becoming grandparents is an understatement. They’re beyond ecstatic.
I got my ass handed to me by my mother, but was also able to have a heart-to-heart with my father. It was enlightening.
***
Mom pulled back from the hug-of-death with tears streaming down her face.
“I’m so happy for you, sweetheart. So, so happy.” Then she smacked me on the back of the head.
“Ow, mom!” I rubbed the back of my head and took a step back from her.
“Oh, please! I’m sure both Charlie and Bella want to do even more than that to you.” She crossed her arms and rolled her eyes.
I looked pleadingly to my dad for some sort of help with his woman. He threw his hands up defensively and said with a chuckle, “Your mother’s right, son. You’ve gotten yourself into a rather eloquent debacle here. What are your plans?”
Great. Outnumbered by my parents now, too.
“I want to have this baby with her. I want to marry her and be a father. She wants the baby too, but I’m not so sure anymore that she wants me,” I explained with a choke.
My mother left the room to go “freshen up” after her little emotional outburst, leaving me alone with my father.
“I’m scared,” I told him honestly.
We took a seat on the couch. “I might understand a little about how you’re feeling right now. Your mother left me once,” he confessed.
My head jerked to look at him. “What? When?”
“Well…she was pregnant with you and Emmett was in his ‘terrible-two’s’. I was beginning my residency in Chicago and was working grueling hours. Between her lack of sleep from the pregnancy, exerting the rest of her energy with Em, and me hardly getting much sleep between shifts…well, you can imagine the tension. We fought and bickered constantly. One day, I made the unfortunate mistake of allowing one argument to become a screaming match. I said something to her about her wanting another baby so bad that she couldn’t even wait until I was done with my residency.” He sighed and shook his head. “It was a terrible and untrue thing to say in the first place, but then I just left and went to work. I didn’t call her, nothing. I worked a thirty-six hour shift and when I came home, well…all of hers and Emmett’s things were gone.”
I was completely in shock. “What…what did you do?”
“Well, just like you did…I went crazy trying to find her. I called everyone we knew. I called her parents and her sister. I finally was able to figure out that she went to her cousin’s house in Alaska. So, I went there. I spent the next nine days on my knees begging for another chance.”
“That sounds familiar,” I muttered. “So, then…how’d you get her to take you back?” I asked, praying that he could offer me a glimmer of hope at getting Bella back.
“A lot of talking, son. I was somehow able to convince her that I didn’t mean what I said. That I had said it merely out of frustration and fatigue, not because it was how I really felt. She agreed to come home and give me another chance. You can bet your life I kept myself in check after that. I quit taking for granted that your mother would always be there for me, regardless of how I acted or what I said. I made sure that she knew everyday how much I loved her and treasured her.”
I nodded my head in agreement. He was saying everything I wanted the opportunity to do.
“Cullen men, huh?” I said with a snicker. “So…how long until things went back to normal?”
“Well son, things never went back to how they were before she left. Obviously, because that just wasn’t working. It got easier after a few months though. I made her a priority, and made sure she knew it, too.”
***
After a quick shower, I head down to the kitchen to eat and find my mother at the stove flipping pancakes. I kiss her on the cheek before grabbing a mug for coffee.
“How did you sleep, dear?” she asks. I’m still cautious of her attitude, mainly because I don’t want to get smacked on the head again.
I clear my throat. “Better than last night, but still not much.” I haven’t slept a full night in six days. I miss her.
“Well, you need to rest, son. It’s not healthy for you to lose sleep. Now, sit and eat,” she commands while plating a stack of pancakes and placing them on the bar.
“Mom? Do you think you might be able to help me with something?” I ask hesitantly while pouring syrup over the stack.
“Well, I’ll try. What do you need?” She turns and faces me, leaning into the counter with her hip.
“I want to do something for Bella. I haven’t seen her in two days and you know how that’s killing me. I thought we made some progress on Tuesday…and…well, I just want to keep things going in the right direction.” I pause and take a bite. I watch her, and can almost see the wheels spinning in her head as I swallow. “Do you think…maybe we could talk to Mr. Wallace about designing a ring?”
A slow, proud smile spreads across her face. “Of course, dear. I hope that intelligent mind of yours is also planning a much more romantic proposal for the next time?”
I cleared my throat again. “Yes, mother, I am.” She nods in encouragement for me to continue. “Would you mind letting me borrow the cottage for the night?”
“Not at all! Oh, that’s perfect! You do need some time alone together, and I can think of no better place,” she gushes and then begins flitting about the kitchen. “I’ll head over there this afternoon and spruce it up. No one’s been out there for a while, I’m sure there are plenty of cobwebs.”
“Thanks, mom.”
“Of course, dear.” She pecks me on the cheek, then opens a drawer and pulls out a set of keys. “Here’s the spare. I’ll run to the store and stock the fridge for you…and then I’ll need to…” she trails off as she leaves the room still chatting away…apparently to herself now. I chuckle and shake my head.
I clean up my dishes and take a seat in one of the loungers on the back deck, watching the steam rise off the surface of the pool. When my parent’s had it built, they also decided that it should be heated…living in the Pacific Northwest, of course, that was a brilliant idea.
I pull out my phone and text Bella.
Good morning beautiful. I hope you slept well. xoxo - E
Slept ok. How about you? – B
Could’ve been better. I miss you. – E
Miss you. – B
I was hoping I could see you today. – E
Is that so? – B
Yes it is. Any plans today? – E
You mean besides baseball on the flat screen? ;) – B
I can’t help but laugh out loud at that. God, I miss her.
I’ll be there at 4. Wear something comfortable. - E
What are you wearing? – B
Again, I laugh. She just set herself up for this one. I dial her number and smile when she answers.
“Are you trying to seduce me, Miss Swan?” I tease.
“What? Oh my–shut up, Edward!” she fumbles as I laugh at her. I can just picture the blush on her face while she chews on her lip.
“Okay, okay…sorry. So really, I’ll pick you up at four. Just be comfortable, it’s nothing fancy. I just want to spend some time with you. Bring a change of clothes, too.”
“Um, okay. Can you give me a hint?” she asks.
“Nope.” I say, popping the “p”.
She huffs. “Okay, well I guess I’ll see you at four then.”
“I’ll be there. And, Bella?”
“Yeah?”
“I love you.”
“I love you, Edward. I’ll see you later.”
xxx
Mr. Wallace owns Wallace Custom Jewelers in Port Angeles and my mother redesigned his shop a few years back. He’s been in the jewelry making business his entire life, learning the craft at an early age from his father. As my mother and I arrive at the store, he greets us with a warm welcome. I haven’t seen the man in quite a few years, and he’s aged considerably. His glasses rest low on his nose and his piercing blue eyes look up at us from his workstation as we enter the door.
“Esme, beautiful, how are you?” he asks, walking swiftly towards us and taking both her hands in both of his as he kisses her lightly on each cheek.
“I’m well, Kristoph, and you?”
“Doing well. Doing well. Who do we have here? This can’t be little Edward, can it?” he asks with a chuckle as he turns to me.
“Hello, Mr. Wallace. How are you, sir?” I ask with a smile, as I shake his callus-covered hand.
One of his hands grips mine, while the other grips my shoulder with a little shake. “You’ve grown into a handsome young man there, Edward.”
“Thank you, sir.”
“So, to what do I owe the pleasure of your visit today?” he asks, turning back to my mother.
“Actually, Edward would like to discuss something with you,” she replies as she places both her hands on my arm.
He looks back at me as I answer, “Yes, sir. I’d like to talk to you about designing a ring for…well, the woman I plan to marry.”
He clasps his hands together in front of his chest with a huge grin. “It would be an honor, Edward. Come, let’s go in the back and you talk while I sketch.”
The man is fucking brilliant. Brilliant! After maybe half an hour of me telling him about Bella and myself, he has drawn up something so simple, yet so…perfect. He has me look through a generous selection of loose diamonds that are the same shape that he drew the ring. This is where my mother comes in handy. We narrowed it down to size–I chose a two-carat diamond–and then she helped with the quality, clarity and all that other “diamond talk”. I gave him the deposit to begin the design process and have to come back in next week to review the wax model of the ring. If it’s good to go from there, then he’ll cast it in platinum and set the stone. I’m fucking stoked. I cannot wait to see the finished product. More importantly, I can’t wait to see it on her finger…I just have to get her to agree now.
As we drive back to Forks, I am lost in thoughts about the ring. It’s not too flashy, because that’s just not Bella. It’s not too big or too small. It’s not too gaudy or extravagant…it’s just fucking perfect. The man is a genius. I mean, I guess that’s to be expected after all, but from just a few stories about us and how I feel, how she makes me feel, and what I want for our life…he was able to come up with something…just…wow.
“You look excited.” My mom says quietly next to me.
“Do I? I just…I’m speechless over his ability,” I say with a smile. “Now, I just have to convince the girl that I’m worth saying yes to.”
She pats my arm across the car. “Not that you’re worth it dear; that it’s worth it for her.”
I nod. She’s right. So far moving Bella and myself completely across the country–and her giving up the only life she knew–I have done nothing to show her that it was worth it for her. That changes tonight. She made a huge sacrifice for us, now it’s my turn.
“I cleaned up the cabin for you, dear. I also made sure there was enough food and there’s a stack of wood for the fireplace on the back stoop. I also made dinner, so all you’ll need to do is heat it up,” she explains. “Is there anything else you needed me to do?”
“No, you’ve done enough. Thank you.”
I drop her off at the house; still having a few errands I want to make on my own before I retrieve Bella. If everything goes according to plan, she will see that I am and have been completely sincere. I want our family.
I place a phone call to Mike, and get the latest details on the happenings of the Hunter trial. I offer some insight to his questions and with his assurance, I feel confident that everything is under control. We briefly discuss the topic of hiring either a summer law student or possibly a first-year clerk, but make no definite plans, only deciding to discuss the topic further upon my return. With a promise from him to update me on Monday regarding the case, we end the call.
Once I finish the final necessities for our evening, I make a stop at the cottage. It sits on the far outskirts of my parent’s property, nestled among the fir trees. The cottage is not a large place by any means–holding only two bedrooms–but that simply adds to the romance of it. Its rock stone walls are covered with honeysuckle vines that climbs up one side and across the flat, wooden shingles. Low-cut roses line the gravel walkway that leads from the drive to an arched wooden door.
Inside, the low ceiling with its exposed wooden beams, floors made of wide-plank aged fir and walls of mosaic stone, add a fairytale atmosphere. In the left corner of the living room stands a beehive fireplace that’s flickering a warm glow across the walls. Along a half-wall to the right, that offers a view of the kitchen, stand staggered groupings of candles in varying heights waiting to be lit. A smile tugs at the corners of my mouth.
Perfect.
In the kitchen, I place my purchased items on the counter and meander down the hallway to the master bedroom. The windows have been cracked open, allowing the gauzy drapes to sway in the breeze. The walls are painted in a soft beige color and trimmed in white. Commanding the center of the room is a dark wood, king-sized bed covered in white linens. More groupings of candles line the tops of the dresser and one bedside table.
Maybe we’ll make use of this room tonight.
I drop my bag of clothes next to the chest of drawers and swiftly walk back towards the front of the cottage. I honestly don’t need, nor want, to be thinking about trying to get her into bed. There are more pressing issues at this point and while I know our sexual chemistry is strong; it’s not why I am bringing her here.
I make quick work of the gift I plan to give her later and slip it into a tissue-lined box. It doesn’t hold much at this point, but I hope that she understands the meaning behind it. I wish I had the ring as well, but that will have to be another time. I don’t want to be too anxious either.
Grabbing a few more logs from the back stoop, I toss them into the fire and situate the screen. With one final check–feeling slightly nauseous with my nerves all over the place–I walk back to my car and drive the dirt path back across the property to my parent’s home.
I have just enough time to shower and grab a small snack to hopefully quiet the swarm of butterflies in my stomach. My mother greets me in the kitchen with a reassuring smile. Why all of the sudden I am doubting myself, I am not sure, but it has me perturbed. She must sense my nervousness, because she places a mug of tea in my hands and pushes me along to a barstool.
“Breathe, son. Everything will work out as it should.”
I’m glad she’s so confident.
I release a breath I didn’t realize I was holding and try to offer her a smile, though I am sure it comes across as more of a grimace.
“I can’t…I think…” I take another deep breath and release it. “I feel like this might be my last shot at convincing her. What if I blow it?”
“Oh, Edward, sweetheart,” she coos. “Bella loves you. There is no doubt in my mind about that.”
“Sure, but is that enough? Somehow I think she’s been asking herself that same question.” I take a sip, trying to allow the warmth to soothe me.
“That’s a very real possibility, however, I think you’re making a valiant effort with the plans you’ve made today.” She pauses and smiles. “Just don’t push her to make a decision right away. Give her time to process everything. Like I said, it will all work out. You’ll see.”
She stands and walks to the refrigerator, retrieving a plate of meats and cheeses and sets them down in front of me. She pulls a box of crackers from the cupboard and sets them down as well before she says, “Now eat. You need something to settle that stomach of nerves before you begin your evening.”
Yes ma’am.
Suddenly–like an unstoppable freight train–Alice bursts through the kitchen door with Jasper hot on her heels.
Oh, for the love of all that’s holy.
“Hello, family!” she chimes while throwing a heated glare my way.
Kill me now.