I look back at Jessica, and she’s studying the floor, her hands now in the front pockets of her apron. I slam my hand down on the counter, and she jumps back in shock and then stares daggers at me.
“You need to calm down.” She practically growls at me. She takes a step towards the counter and places her hand over mine soothingly. Doesn’t help. “Look. I like you. Both of you. I don’t know what’s going on, and I don’t know where she went. Yes, she was here, but only long enough to grab breakfast and a coffee to go.” She pauses and removes her hand. “She looked a hot mess though. It broke my heart to see her like that. And…” she pauses again, and I feel like the only thing holding me up is this damn counter. I can see the hurt in her eyes “…she told me goodbye. Said that it was the last time she’d be coming here, and wanted to say goodbye.”
My fucking heart slams into my chest and then falls into my feet. I slump into a stool at the counter and drop my forehead to my arms, trying to fight back the tears.
No! Dammit! No!!
“Look Edward, maybe she just needs some space. Just give her some time?” It comes out like a question, and I know she’s just trying to comfort me. Still doesn’t help.
“I can’t. I have to find her. It’s just a feeling, but if I don’t find her, I think…” I swallow hard and practically choke on the next words, “…I think she’ll be gone for good.”

No comments:
Post a Comment